April 03, 2007

By Your Side

It was an ordinary day. Vishal was getting ready to leave for work. His phone rang. It was Tina.

Nisha's world had just about fallen apart. Her sister was killed in an accident. While crossing the street.

She sat, numb, disbelieving, at the house she grew up in. Running around with her sister so many years ago. Her constant companion. Confidante. Friend. Mother. A sister can fill all those roles.

Thank god for Tina. She was a rock from the moment she found out. She never thought she would keep in touch with her college friends. But remain friends they did.

You expect the world to stop because something terrible happened to you. But it doesn't. You don't understand why. The earth doesn't come to a standstill. Time goes on. You have to go through the motions. You cannot curl up and expect things to go back to the way they were.

Hey Nuttie.

Nisha turned around at the familiar nickname. It was Vishal. She crumpled into his arms.

I'm sorry.

I can't believe she's gone. I expect her to walk through the door and say 'April Fool' anytime now.

I know, I know, says Vishal. What do I know? he thinks to himself. I don't have a brother or a sister. But he did have cousins. They weren't all that close though.

I feel so lonely! Its like losing a sister and a best friend and my whole world.

I am sorry Nisha. Sorry is so..inadequate. I will always be here for you. As will Tina. He added that so it didn't seem inappropriate. She knew it too.

From being the most important person in the world to the other, to go to a point where meaningless words must be said, felt like such a farce.

But now was not the time to think of all that. It was the time to be supportive. To be by her side.

No comments: