September 16, 2009

When you whine

I was driving.

It was a beautiful day. I remarked upon it. He countered with a reading of the weather report which promised rainfall in the night.

"But its beautiful now"

"Okaaaaaaaayyyyyyy"

He started to fiddle around the glove compartment.

"Can you please stop filling it up with your crap?" he said, while taking out a sheaf of tissues, hair clips and other things that tended to accumulate when I was around.

It was my fault. I live like a wanderer. But as I listened to the high pitched note of complaint from him, I knew I couldn't take it anymore. There was no silver lining this man could find. A litany of complaints, easily so.

I sighed, and decided to ignore him. It was such a beautiful day.

"Are you ignoring me?"

"Yep" I said, smiling.

"Its not something to be smiling about"

"Please, Suri, stop it"

"Stop what?"

"The incessant whining"

"Is that how you think of me?" he said, and launched into another session which I ignored.

"Suri, for the last time, shut up"

"Or else what?"

I am usually a sane and rational, un-flappable kinda person. But I couldn't take it anymore. Rage bubbled over.

I looked at the trailer looming up ahead, and hit the accelerator, and looked left. It was clear. I hit the indicator. And sped up.

"What are you doing?" he screamed as we came too close. I looked at his scared face.

At the last minute, I pulled left.

Oh, so precisely the car jammed into the left rear end of the trailer.

That was all I remembered.

I had a few broken ribs. The cops gave me the 'bad' news.

The right side of the car was beyond recognition.

Just as I intended.

7 comments:

Rush said...

I was so tempted to name this "Whine and Die"

Divs said...

Rush!! Bestest!! [I know thats not a word! but it describes it the best!!]

And dear American friend of mine... Left hand driving eh!!

Rush said...

@Dodo - THANKS! I wasn't sure about this one, and as always, I was waiting until you gave your like it/hate it approval before I publicized it on FB :D

Lol, current driving condition, en maadodu!

I just realized, although I posted it in November, my blog thinks I am on Indian calendar time and shows as though I posted in September! :D

U said...

DId this really happen.. if so how are you now..

$|-|/\KZ said...

PSYCHO!!

Anonymous said...

Good one!!!!
Was it in the US and did u learn from it that you need to ignore any distractions while driving..It could have been fatal!!!
Life is short why taking such a shortcut.

JACK TIDE said...

Great little story. I love the language. Did not see the ending coming. That Suri guy, I think we all know people like him, people that are only happy when they make other people miserable. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I guess it's a good thing that in real life we can't get rid of them so easily.
Love yer stories lass.

-Jack Tide