July 27, 2008

Conversation

"You know, you shouldn't do that" said Adarsh.

"Do what?"

"Make me a wimp"

"You are not a wimp. You are simply someone who got screwed!"

"Are you trying for irony here or are you simply being mean?"

"A little bit of both, I guess."

"You name me Adarsh, and then you give me a crappy life!"

"I haven't written the ending yet, you know"

"Which is why we are having this conversation."

"Now don't you go around thinking you have any kind of say in what happens to the story. In this space, I rule."

"Its my life, won't you hear me out?"

"You are a figment of my imagination."

"So be it. Play out the conversation in your head."

"So what do you want?"

"To be happy" he said simply, a faraway look on his face.

"Don't we all?"

"Yes, but this isn't the real world. You just said so. Why won't you give me a happy ending?"

"But then you will go away, and I will have to think up one more person!"

"Having a crush, are we?" with a smirk.

"Nope. I can never have a crush on someone who eats french toast with mustard."

"Hey! That is normal. Besides, you decided that, not me. Remember??" and he gives a you-are-so-loony look.

"Whatever. So, what do you want?"

"For you to be like Jane Austen.. give your characters all that they desire"

"Are you speaking for yourself or are you a spokesman for the rest of 'em?"

"Well, I didn't think of that, but why not? Except for the dead girl, I am sure everyone else would love the idea."

"No."

"What, you raised my hopes for nothing? Lets back up to what I want."

"So what is it gonna be? Revenge? A second love?"

"Hmmm I want to be different. Those options are so...normal."

"Says the guy who only wanted to be 'happy'"

"Alright. How about an adventure? Somewhere in the rain forest. Or the Antarctic. Ooh I know, like that book by Matthew Reilly, "Ice station". That would be so cool."

"But that would be repeating something that has already been done, wouldn't it? Nothing new."

"There are very few things that haven't been done before..and I am just an ordinary guy..With extraordinary dreams." he added, with a self deprecating smile.

"You know, you are kinda cute. Don't worry, I know what to do."

"You mean, you knew what you were gonna do all this while, and just pretended like I had a chance?" Adarsh said, with more than a hint of annoyance.

"How do I put this. Ah I know: Yes."

"You are evil."

"Ha ha. You don't think so."

"Says who?"

"Me. Just you wait."

A few keystrokes later...

"You, my dear Rush, are an angel." said Adarsh.

"Thats more like it."

5 comments:

Gayathri said...

So, when do we get to know what the 'ending' would be?

Rush said...

@gayathri - i wish i knew!! i hadn planned on writing a series if you will, while writing 'Change'.. maybe i wont write him an ending at all..
what wud ur choice be?

@everyone, feel free to comment on whether i shud really write one more post..or kill it the way it is now, with no ending..

Vidya Natarajan said...

hey this is really cool am just reading through it
u must rite more!

Divs said...

girl! yu r on a roll! don't stop!! super!!

Rush said...

@zanychild - thank you so much :D i def wil keep writing..abt dis particular series, i am not so sure!

@dodo - nowadays, everytime i write, i feel the need to wait for ur opinion :) thanks!

@everyone - i just read d post again, and realized the conversation sounds like i already know the ending.. hehe i meant the dialogue to be the story, that the unusual thing i had in mind for adarsh was precisely for me to write the 'conversation'..not to imply that there is a story that follows!!

not sure if that makes sense to ppl reading it, but as someone in my office says.. "it is what it is"