November 16, 2007

The AIA Syndrome

I have Acquired Immunity to Alarms (AIA). To be more specific, I do not hear the alarm on my phone anymore, when it buzzes off at 7 in the morning (maybe it has something to do with the fact that it’s dark outside). Apparently, I am not the only one suffering from AIA. I have decided that I will fight the disease. For what joy, I do not know.

First, I should assess the motivation to get up at that unearthly hour. The fact that I have paid through my nose (and possibly those of my grandchildren) in lieu of tuition fees should be motivation enough. But from Managerial Economics, I have learnt that the tuition fees should be treated as sunk costs and so should not affect my decision (to get up early in the morning).

So motivation goes flying out of the window. Don’t you think Student Services should start a Wake-Up alarm service? But that probably wouldn’t work. If you have AIA, you probably have AIC (Acquired Immunity to Calls) as well.

Am sure each of you finds at least ONE person in class really, really, annoying. What has that got to do with AIA, you ask. I will get to it in a minute. Imagine that the Student Services sends out your annoying person to wake you up. Am sure this person is definitely not the one you want to see first thing in the morning. You can rest assured your day will spiral downhill after that.

The threat of seeing this person so early in the morning would probably tune your biological clock into waking you up right on the dot at 7. And you don’t need alarms anymore!

I will let you know how that plan works out.

No comments: